Cancer Treatment Services

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What happens during a psychiatry phone assesment ?

I am 22 and tomorrow at 1:15... I am getting a phone assesment done by a psychiatriy nurse..what happens ?What will she ask me. I am so nervous. She said it will lasts between 45-60 minutes and I am sooo nervous. What will she ask and how can I be prepared ? It's for anxiety and possible depression ( That's what my GP said )



I had one of these when i first went to my GP for help, though mine only lasted 15 minutes. She will just ask you questions about your depression and anxiety. Nothing to worry about i promise at the end she should arrange an appointment to see her or she may decide to refer you to the local community mental health team for further help. Just be honest and if you are feeling uncomfortable on the phone then tell her that so she knows what sets off your anxiety. I told my nurse i felt very uncomfortable, maybe that is why it only lasted 15 minutes!!


Good luck




They just want some background information.





Things such as:


- how you're feeling right now


- what your symptoms are like


- what you think might be causing the anxiety/depression


- what your sleep patterns are (do you sleep well, and how long)


- which medications you're taking if any


- have you felt suicidal (I hope not!)





They'll also probably ask questions about your family history, since depression is thought to sometimes have a genetic connection.





It's nothing to be worried or nervous about - they won't ask any "embarrassing" questions or do anything that would make you feel uneasy. They do need to know about you, so they can correctly diagnose and treat you as well as they can.





It'll be over before you know it :-)




The person will probably want to know what you're having problems with. They may ask if you ever feel like you want to hurt yourself or someone else. You may be asked if you have any kind of support system, for example friends, family, a therapist...etc. You may be asked if you see or hear things that are not really there. Good Luck with your assessment. I am glad you are taking good care of yourself.


Best Wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment